France 2025 - D Day
Hello Fabulous Followers! Joe and I have embarked upon another travel adventure - 40 days! The first part of our journey lasts 20 days in France, traveling with a group led by our travel agent, Pam. We are on a AmaWaterways river cruise that started in Paris and navigating the Seine River northward.
Now, I usually start a blog with the beginning of our journey (and I will catch you up), but I have been led in a different direction after today's experience. Today, we traveled to the beaches of Normandy and the American cemetery at Normandy.
We sang the National Anthem, had a flower bearing ceremony, listened to Taps and had a moment of silence. The veteran gentleman who presented the flowers is a member of our group. What a touching moment!
There are 5 Normandy beaches - Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword. The Omaha beach stormed by the Americans was by far the most treacherous to navigate. These soldiers had to escape the boats or die, and what was their escape? To face enemy gunfire.
There is so much history that I cannot begin to condense for you, so please find a book, a movie or Google June 6, 1944. Men and women gave their life for our freedom and we should never forget. Joe and I walked among the tombstones offering up prayers and praises for their heroism. Heroism that we benefit from living in the United States.
The engravings on the crosses face west toward the United States. 55% of the American families who lost a loved one decided to bring their loved one home to American soil to be buried, so the remaining 45% lie at Normandy. The United States is the only country that provided that choice. Germany, Britain and Canada did not give families of fallen soldiers that option.
The bodies were all laid to rest as one team - officers next to privates. There is no order, hierarchical or alphabetical, to the graves. There are instances where brothers are next to each other; a father and son lie side by side.
Below is a time capsule. In 19 years to commemorate the 100th anniversary of D-Day, the time capsule will be opened and Dwight D. Eisenhower's notes will be revealed.
Did you know almost 60 million soldiers and civilians worldwide died from World War II? That is a powerful number.
This was an emotional, yet poignant moment and we are so blessed to be there today. I leave you with images from the American cemetery and the beach.
Blessings!










Comments
Post a Comment