Mojo Road Trip 2024 Day 17 June 19, 2024 - Say Cheese - Shelburne Day
Hello Fabulous Followers! Wow, today was a busy, fun day. I don't even know how I am going to condense all that was seen today. Get a drink cuz it may be a tad long.
I am going to start with the afternoon first. We took a 2 hour tour called Sun to Cheese at Shelburne Farms. We got to sample cheese and see how the cheese is made. Today it is a 1400 acre non-profit education for sustainability. It was originally founded in 1886 by William Seward Webb and Lila Vanderbilt Webb. In the day, it was the Vanderbilt summer home. Keep up with me cause you will hear these names again, ok? Take a look. We rode around on a covered wagon around the farm.
Did you know cows are very social. They hang with other cows that they like, they like to stand in a certain place when milked. Check this out.
So, the morning started out at the Shelburne Museum. Yep, this is another recommendation from Karen. You know, when Joe envisioned this road trip, he said I want to go to Vermont. He really did not give me any ideas on what to see or do and I thought what are we going to do? Well I was at a funeral and Karen was there. She told me about a Vermont trip she planned to take and it was cancelled. She sent me a screenshot of the itinerary and I have used this screenshot as a guide. Shelburne Museum was on the list. I had not heard of this place, have you??
Shelburne Museum was founded by Electra Havemeyer Webb, who was married to James Webb. James Webb was the son of William Webb and Lila Vanderbilt. Do you get the connection? Electra was born to money and married money. Her mother told her to give back to the community, so she founded Shelburne Museum in 1947 to showcase her family's carriages.
But then Electra realized she could have a "collection of collections." Her collections are of the circus, Ticonderoga steamboat, guns, decoys, fine art, whimsies, etc. She would literally move buildings, homes, etc from around Vermont to this property and place certain collections in a specific building. Heck, she purchased and moved the Ticonderoga steamboat to the museum. I loved this exhibit - there was a guided tour and you can walk around the steamboat.
Below will be random pictures to give you a flavor. Now, we only stayed 3 hours because we had tickets for Shelburne Farms. With our receipt, we are going back tomorrow to the Museum. If you come here, you have to stay all day to see everything, maybe a day and a half. When we go back tomorrow, I can summarize what are my favorites and must sees. I took tons of pictures, so I will choose ones that struck me. Let me say, this place is eclectic and I have not seen anything like it.
See ya tomorrow. Blessings!






















Comments
Post a Comment