Greetings from Colonial Williamsburg! Luckily, today has been overcast and not so hot. But before I talk about Williamsburg, for enquiring minds - are you sitting down? I shaved my legs. Yes, I used Joe's razor and all is well for awhile. (If you are wondering why I am saying this, then you need to read the other blogs).
Enjoyed walking around and taking in this historical place. I told Joe my fabulous followers will expect pictures.
Enjoyed wandering around gardens. This top picture is a rhubard chard. It is giving us ideas for the raised garden beds in our backyard.
We went to the courthouse and I volunteered to be Jane Vobe, the owner of King Arms Tavern. I know, I am so shy and introverted, all of you are surprised by me volunteering...Joe made me do it. I was so scared. Well anyway, Jane came to the court asking for her tavern license to be renewed after paying the 50 pounds license fee. Joe got a video of me. My apologies, if the video does not cooperate. But I did a marvelous job. You can see a picture below. Basically, I was granted the license and let the judge and justices know they were welcomed to the tavern for some punch.
The courthouse is an original building dating back to 1770.
So, you are asking what about lunch? Well, we were able to eat at Jane Vobe's tavern. You know, Joe and I decided it is obvious we are retired and getting old cause we shared lunch. We had Soupe Squash, Onion Pye with egg on top and Snow Eggs for dessert. Snow Eggs was a recipe from James Hemming, cook for Thomas Jefferson. It is meringue with nutmeg, custard, fruit and candied walnuts with an edible flower. All was very tasty.
Here are a few random shots throughout the colony.
This is the tin maker shop.
We got a great tour of the Governor's Mansion. Lord Dunmore (from Scotland), Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson resided here. Jefferson later moved the capital to Richmond. The mansion was opulent and the foyer had so many guns and swords for defending. It was beautiful. Below are a few random pictures of the mansion. The mansion is a replica since the original burned down. It was rebuilt based on the specs drawn by Jefferson.






After leaving the governor's mansion, we walked around the grounds. We saw the salt house, lard house and curing house, where the smell of cured pigs hanging made me want to eat bbq. The pigs are slaughtered, cooked, cured....the whole shebang on site. Their next slaughter occurs Dec 14th. Went into the kitchen and wow! A gentlemen was making cakes had been employed in this job for 32 years. He will be retiring and is training the 2 apprentices which can take up to 7 years. These are actual occupations! They cook with the same utensils and methods as the colony did and use the same recipes!
The smell of bbq was amazing!
The journeyman is on the left and his 2 apprentices to the right.
After resting awhile, we decided to go back to the Sweet Tea & Barley. We shared (see, we shared) kale and bean soup and a single serving of the BBQ special - pork belly, turkey, collards, beans, pickles, onion rings and yes, for you haters, we got a side of collard greens.
After dinner we went to a coffee shop and the nice gentleman gave us free coffee (Joe said I was too friendly to him and that's why we got it. Well, Joe didn't mind cause he smiled and patted my hiney). We walked a mile before headed to our room and I got a picture of this beautiful bird with a bright blue back and red throat. I have since lots of beautiful birds here, including Orioles which I do not see at home.
Tomorrow we are headed to Farmville, VA to an AirBnB that has an alpaca farm! Will be here a few nights to rest and do laundry. The house is in the country and does not have wifi, so I will have to blog on my phone or use Bernadette's wifi. I will figure it out. I am excited cause we are going to Monticello and eat the famous mac and cheese! See, I told you, we love food!
Thanks for reading, my fabulous followers! Pray for us to have safe travels to our next destination.
Blessings!
Comments
Post a Comment