Mojo Road Trip 2024 Day 8 June 10, 2024 - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

 Hello fabulous followers! Today has been a great day.  Started cool and had to wear long pants and just a beautiful spring day.  My sinuses slightly bothering me because pollen is blowing around here.

Spoiler alert - this may be a long passage!  I gots lots to say.

We are staying in a cottage in Intercourse, PA with a lovely patio over looking the street. In fact, as I am writing this, I am sitting on the patio with Joe enjoying coffee and snacks, listening to the birds chirping and watching traffic.  Traffic includes the Amish families in their horse and carriage - clip clop, clip clop. 

Last night, horse and buggy could be heard all evening.  In fact, the last sound I heard at midnight before falling asleep was the clip clop of a horse.  Evidently, on Sundays after church the Amish have lots of parties and are up late at night.


Isn't this just a beautiful view from our porch!


When I was 13 years old, my parents rented a Winnebago and we traveled up the East Coast into Canada.  On the way home, we stopped in Intercourse (my mom could not stand to say this word, a genteel Southern woman should not say it).  My only memory was an area so clean, no litter and just beautiful farmland.  Well the surrounding area has certainly grown and there is so much to do, but what has not changed is the clean, litter free grounds with beautiful farmland.  I mean look at these pics.





We enjoyed walking around the Kitchen Kettle area where we had breakfast and did some shopping. (Boy, did I do some shopping....I bought some Amish furniture, but that's another story). We were ready for breakfast this morning, cuz we were hungry.  It wasn't the best, but decent. It was a scrambled egg and sausage on a cinnamon raisin bread with tater tots. Joe had sausage biscuit and gravy. We are hoping tomorrow to have an authentic Dutch lunch....stay tuned.





In the afternoon, we visited a neighboring town called Lititz, also in Lancaster County.  Lititz is a beautiful small town with shops and character. 

We stopped at the Sturgis Pretzel Factory and got the best hot soft pretzel ever!  Sorry, no picture, I ate it too quick.  But we got to take a tour and make our own pretzels. Mine was pretty lame (it's the 2nd one). Joe's looked pretty good.





 Fifth generation Sturgis family is still making pretzels, but they make hard pretzels.  Julius Sturgis the founder had an idea to use scraps from soft pretzels to make hard pretzels.  When he got a chance, he bought his own store and began production.  It is a great story.  You can buy the pretzels online but the family only distributes the product within 100 miles.  Basically, you can only find the pretzels in Pennsylvania.

We visited the Wilbur Chocolate Factory and bought a few chocolate treats.


We finished our time at an outdoor venue with a turkey sammy and reckless weck, kentucky mule and berry lime cider.  


I am feeling very grateful and blessed to be able to take this journey with my best friend/hubby.  So far, we have not annoyed each other too much, but who knows?  we still got 3 weeks.

I pray all is well with you and thanks for taking this journey with me.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Clip clop, clip clop.  Blessings!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2025 - D Day

Mojo Rants and Blunders - France & More 2025

Mojo Does Mexico January 2026