Viking Mississippi August 2024 - 1st Post - Opportunity

 Hello Fabulous Followers!  I had several fans ask for another blog, so here I am! This time it won't be every day, but will keep you apprised of what we are experiencing.


Joe and I decided to take a Mississippi cruise from St Paul to St Louis on the Viking Mississippi.

So, let's chat...several years ago I saw an ad for this cruise on the American Cruise Line in a Southern Living magazine.  Ever since I saw the ad, I wanted to take this trip.  When I read Viking built a longship just for the Mississippi, I thought...AH HA!  This trip was to be taken August 2023, but we deferred it to this year (last year I decided I wanted to go to Ireland).  Since this is a new itinerary, it has allowed Viking to get more "kinks" out of their trip.

We flew into St. Paul on Thursday and Viking provided a complimentary 2 nights pre-trip hotel stay.  They picked us up at the airport and got us to the Intercontinental Hotel.  Unbeknownst to us, we were provided a complimentary excursion on Friday.  (We are navigating the Viking way). We chose to go to Hmong (pronounced mung) Marketplace.  

This place was phenomenal - owned by a Laos gentleman who migrated to the US. He spent 4 years of his childhood with his family in the forest escaping death.  The Laos people assisted the US troops in Vietnam and due to this China targeted the Laos people.  He saw much death and then several years in a refugee camp.  He finally migrated to the US when he was 18 years old and his wife was 16 years old.  He learned what a water closet was, what milk and cereal was, how to turn on a stove and ride a city bus.  He did receive government assistance, but also got a college degree and got a job.  With a job and no more assistance, he was motivated to invest in land.  He started this marketplace for 1 stop shopping.  You can buy food, fruits, veggies, deodorant, get a haircut, obtain live chickens for animal sacrifice and burial wraps.  This man told us his story and it was very inspiring.  

We all have opportunity to make decisions that directs our path in life.  Once again, Joe and I feel so blessed with the opportunity to be retired, enjoying life and traveling.

Red Wing, Minnesota - visited National Eagle Center where Colin Powell's Freedom of Medal is displayed.  We saw Was'aka, an injured bald eagle from Jacksonville that was injured and sent to this center to recuperate and live out his life.  Did you know Minnesota is the 2nd state behind Alaska with bald eagle population?  Who knew?  Why is this? 10,000 lakes.  Bald eagles like fish.  The 3rd state is a competition between Wisconsin and Florida.



Today, we docked in La Crosse, Wisconsin, but was whisked away to Decorah, Iowa to visit the Vesterheim Museum.  This museum is dedicated to the Norwegian presence in the area, where the Norwegian migrated.  It was interesting to see how they lived, their spinning wheels to make textiles, their artwork, chairs, utensils.  This excursion was included with our cruise fare and included a delicious lunch.







So, if you followed my other posts, you will understand the following.  I did not forget my nightgown and I remembered my razor.  I was having difficulty losing my socks and even found a sock (that I had been looking for at home) embedded in the foot of another sock!  These things only happen to me. We are meeting lots of nice people from various backgrounds and met a nice couple that is directly across the hall from us that are from DeLand!

Until next time, Blessings!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2025 - D Day

Mojo Rants and Blunders - France & More 2025

Mojo Does Mexico January 2026