Viking Mississippi August 2024 - Soothe Your Soul
Hello Fabulous Followers! Here is where we been so far.
Dubuque, Iowa
For this port, we went to the Fields of Dreams. Yes, the Kevin Costner movie about baseball. This is a favorite movie with our family.
Marv, the ghost player, spoke to us and he said the baseball field can "soothe your soul" from the outside world. It is so important, to love and live each day. Look at your loved ones and hug them, kiss them and tell them you love them since we are not guaranteed tomorrow.
Quad Cities, Iowa
Ok, I got a little confused geographically. We docked in Quad Cities, Iowa but took a short excursion across a bridge and landed in Moline, Illinois. In Moline, we visited the John Deere home and museum. So, as a child not knowing any better, I thought all people came from the same background as my parents. Very, very poor farmers (Daddy) and sharecroppers (Mom). I mean my Granny and Papa Wilkes did not have indoor plumbing until 1970! I was 4 years old! But here John Deere, even though starting out very meager amasses much wealth.
John Deere sold plows because the dirt in the midwest is so rich it would stick to the farming tools. But Deere's plow stayed dirt free. He died and never saw a tractor. His son and grandson started that. But the house! Oh my!
And indoor plumbing with marble! A pink toilet! My great grandparents, grandparents and parents did not know what a toilet was. They had an outhouse and a slop jar by the bed hoping at night you did not have to do more than pee. Perspective....
A lack of males meant no family has led John Deere since 1975. It is now a corporation where family members still own stock. It is a major employer for Moline and hope it does not move its headquarters.
The tractors are quite impressive.
We are going through a few locks per day as we navigate the Mississippi River. One night we stood on our balcony at 1030pm watching as we went through the lock and talking with the workers. Locals are very enthralled with the Viking ship - taking pictures and waving us off when we depart. Locals are following the ship's path and will show up at the lock to watch, wave, talk and take pictures. The Viking is definitely helping the Mid-west economy and bringing about much conversation.
Another interesting note is we see and hear many trains each day. There seems to be train track parallel to the river. In some towns, 20+ trains go through per day. I love to hear a train! Joe asked me why? In my childhood home, I heard a train every day, mostly at night. I am still hearing that nightly train in my home now. I don't know .... it just soothes the soul.
Blessings until next time!












Comments
Post a Comment