Mojo Does London - Recap October 11,12,13, 2024

 Hey Fabulous Followers!  I still am recapping our fantastic London trip.  Let's look at the following.

Friday, October 11, 2024

Richard, Beth, Joe and I took the Tube to Greenwich, but did something pretty cool.  We walked in a tunnel under the River Thames - 92 spiral steps down into the tunnel, cross under the river and then climb up 92 spiral steps to the otherside.  How did we know to do this?  Well, I have the Rick Steves London book.  He recommended it - thanks Rick!



On the other side, we enjoyed touring the Cutty Sark. Cutty Sark was launched in 1869 and was a tea clipper and sailed the seas faster than any other. On a good windy day, it could sell 300 miles in a day.




This clipper sailed the world delivering tea, wool and other cargo to the Far East, Europe and Australia, The crew would be gone for 10 months at a time. As I looked at a map detailing all these sailings until the mid 1920's and pondered did my grandparents, great grandparents and further know that there was such a large world out there.  I wish I could ask them now, but it is too late.  Did they know about the world? Did they know there were ships crossing the oceans with tea and wool? When you are a farmer harvesting crops and trying to survive did you even have thoughts like that?  Would it have mattered?  I just don't know.  But I am learning there is a big world out there and I am enjoying seeing it, learning it and blessed to do it.

We went to the Greenwich Observatory located on the prime meridian (0 degrees longitude) - which all time and distances on earth are measured. Astronomers studied the heavens to help seafarers navigate.







Saturday, October 12, 2024

Beth and Richard are with family in Cambridge and Skip and Dawn are coming in for the weekend for the Jags game.  Joe and I take this opportunity to sleep in and rest. Today was spent with Skip and Dawn walking around Kensington and enjoying food and beverage. Goose leg and lentil stew for lunch at a Polish restaurant (watch our server pour it out) and pizza for dinner at a local Kensington place called Fireaway - pizza in 108 seconds. And delicious Berries & Cherries ales...oh it is yummy. Nice day spent with college friends of 36 years.






I love the below picture.  We talked about the amazing experience that the week before we ate together in St. Augustine and a week later enjoying each other's company in London!




Sunday, October 13, 2024

Well, today is the Jags vs Bears football game and we know the outcome.  The Jags lost miserably.  But, the experience of being in Tottenham stadium (Joe's bucket list) with great friends was the best experience.  We all agreed that Joe had on his bucket list to attend the game, but should have been more specific about attending AND winning the game.









Blessings!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

France 2025 - D Day

Mojo Rants and Blunders - France & More 2025

Mojo Does Mexico January 2026